In the business landscape of today, protecting yourself from every liability and angle is an essential component of your life as a fitness professional. While some gyms and employers offer a shared liability insurance policy, this may not be the best model for everyone. Instead, personal trainers should investigate the benefits of a personal liability policy to ensure comprehensive coverage.
But what is personal liability insurance for personal trainers? We’re glad you asked. Let’s talk about what a personal liability policy entails, how it can benefit fitness professionals, and why it provides the most comprehensive protection from a liability lawsuit.
Personal Liability Insurance Vs. Shared Liability Policies
Both personal liability and shared liability policies are designed to help protect professionals from the cost of a lawsuit due to injury or property damage. However, the critical difference is a shared policy is, well, shared. This means as a unit, business, or group, the coverage limits, annual aggregates, and more are pooled amongst all employees under the policy.
On the other hand, a personal policy is explicitly designed around you, as you are the only person covered in the policy. With an individual policy, you can tailor your coverage, payment methods, and more. Because you are the sole policyholder, you don’t have to worry about your coverage limit being depleted when you need it.
Our generous coverage limits can help cover medical costs, legal fees, and more expenses associated with a lawsuit. We offer up to $1 million per occurrence for professional and general liability claims with a $3 million annual aggregate (maximum).
Personal Liability Coverage for Fitness Instructors
Every insurance company policy will differ slightly. However, a personal liability insurance policy from IFG will include a complete range of coverage. With every personal trainer plan, you can expect the following coverage:
- Professional and general liability: Designed to protect you from errors and mistakes that cause injury as well as universal risks, like slips and falls.
- Product liability: This coverage defends against equipment malfunctions, product errors, or product recommendations that cause a bad reaction in your trainees.
- Personal injury and advertising injury: This coverage protects fitness instructors from liability for non-physical injuries or damages resulting from actions including defamation, false arrest, invasion of privacy, and copyright/trademark infringement in advertising and marketing.
- Identity theft protection: This protection covers fees associated with identity theft recovery services.
Benefits of a Personal Policy
So, there are certainly some major upsides to a personal liability policy for personal trainers. With personalized and dedicated coverage, you can enjoy confidence in your personal trainer insurance. So, just how does an individual policy benefit you as a personal trainer? Here are some of the top benefits of having a personal policy versus shared insurance coverage:
- Coverage limits all to yourself: With a personal policy, there’s no stress about reaching the coverage limit before you need it. There is no one else to deplete the annual aggregate (coverage maximum), so it is entirely dedicated to you and any potential claims you may file.
- Coverage for what you need: Instead of cookie-cutter coverage that may or may not cover what you need, an individual policy is tailored to your specific coverage requirements. With a personal policy, you can ensure your particular physical forte is covered.
- Affordability: Personal policies often allow flexible payment plans on your terms. Unlike a shared policy, you can select a plan that fits your budget and lifestyle.
- Personalized guidance: An individualized policy can often give you direct access to customer service and advice without going through your employer. This access can be a game changer when filing a claim or asking questions.
- No dependence on others: Of course, one of the best features of a personal policy is your autonomy. You don’t have to worry about your employer renewing your policy, selecting the best coverage, or making wise insurance decisions; those crucial decisions are in your hands alone.
Even if your employer provides a shared insurance policy for your gym or studio, a personalized policy can be an intelligent way to ensure you have the coverage you need.
Get the Coverage you Need with IFG
At Insure Fitness Group, we want every personal trainer to have confidence in their coverage. Our tried and true personal insurance policy has helped thousands of fitness professionals and coaches feel safe and secure in their liability insurance. If you’re ready to ramp up your liability protection, get a personal liability insurance policy today.